Looking for ways to brighten the interior and exterior of your home’s windows and doors? Renewal by Andersen of Sacramento window experts have compiled the easiest and most effective methods for how to clean home windows throughout the year, not to mention lasting functionality and beauty. So check out our top tips and tricks for making your glass gleam.
Routine Maintenance for Clean Home Windows
- Clean out dirt and debris from sills and tracks to keep your windows and doors opening and closing easily.
- Clean the frame, sash and grilles by using a mild solution of soap and water and a soft rag or brush.
To clean the glass:
- Wipe loose dirt and grime from the glass with a soft dry cloth.
- Apply a cleaning solution such as mild soapy water, vinegar-and-water, or a liquid window cleaner to the glass and wipe in a circular motion.
- Remove the cleaning solution with a squeegee or clean, lint-free cloth.
- Rinse with clear water if soap has been used.
To clean the window hardware:
- On casement or awning windows and all patio doors, lubricate all moving parts, such as locks, hinges, operators and rollers with dry lubricant to maintain ease of operation.
- On gliding window frame or double hung side covers, use a dry lubricant if needed to make operation easier.
- Wash hardware using a mild detergent and water solution with a soft cloth.
- Climate, location, and exposure to corrosive environments such as industrial areas, pesticides, herbicides, or salts are challenges to your ability to maintain the hardware’s beauty and characteristics.
- Simple routine maintenance will help extend the life of your window and doors.
Finally—What Not To Do
When learning how to clean home windows, pay particular attention to abrasive cleaners; they will damage your glass surface. Moreover, acid solutions used for cleaning masonry or concrete will also damage glass, fasteners, hardware and metal flashing. So to protect your home windows and doors, follow the cleaning instructions of your product of choice carefully. If acid ends up coming into contact with your windows, wash all surfaces with water immediately. And to minimize glass cleaner residue from depositing on the glass, do not clean in direct sunlight. In conclusion, do not use newspaper to dry the glass surface as the ink may discolor the surrounding Fibrex® material.